Shri. T. P. Peethambaran Master
General Secretary, NCP
The early years:
Education B.A. in Economics, Politics and History
B.T. (Bachelor of Teaching)
Profession High School Assistant from 1948 to 1970
Headmaster, SDPY High School from 1970-1983
Associated with Political activities through student movement from 1944 to 1948 as a student of Maharajas College, Ernakulam and with the Congress Socialist group in the Congress and the Kochi Rajya Praja Mandalam, under which name the Congress was working in the state of Kochi.
Became Member of the Indian Socialist Party in 1948 when it was formed and became State Executive Committee member of the party and of the Praja Socialist Party when the Socialist Party and Kisan Mazdoor Praja Party merged into one under the name Praja Socialist Party, until 1960.
Was the General Secretary of Rebel PSP from 1960 till 1962 when that group merged with Indian National Congress.
Was the Member of District Executive Committee of the Indian National Congress, Ernakulam from 1962.
Was also incharge of Block President, Palluruthy from 1969-72.
Was Vice President of DCC Ernakulam from 1972 to 1978.
When the Congress (I) was formed in 1978, stood with the Congress under the leadership of Shri Brahmanand Reddy.
Was President of the District Congress Committee from 1978 and subsequently when the Election Commission declared Congress (I) as Indian National Congress, continued as District President of the party under the name of Indian National Congress (S).
Was Jt. Secretary of the Congress (S) (Indian Congress Socialist) from 1989-1994, and
General Secretary, Congress (S) from 1994-1999
Became the General Secretary of the Nationalist Congress Party on formation of the Nationalist Congress Party and amalgamation of Congress (S) with NCP in 1999 and continuing as General Secretary NCP.
Engaged in social activities even from the days of college days, organised free library and reading room. Conducted free Hindi Teaching evening classes, preparing students for the exams of Dekshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, Madras. Worked in other cultural Samities.
Organised a sports club and conducted Badminton and Volley Ball tournaments.
Running a cultural and educational trust under the name “SAMATHA’.
As a Teacher:
Became school teacher in 1948. Took voluntary retirement as headmaster in 1983 after serving as Headmaster for 13 years.
Was the Member State Education Advisory Board and Member of the Syllabus Revision Committee.
Was Member of the Central Board of Secondary Education.
Was associated with Private School Teachers’ movement. Was Vice President of the Kerala Private School Teachers’Association (PSTA). Was District President, PSTA Ernakulam District Committee from 1960-1965 and State Vice President and then State General Secretary from 1965-1967 and State President from 1967-1976. Was actively involved in the Private School Teachers’ Agitation for parity in pay scales with government school Teachers and was instrumental in getting parity in pay scale and promotion and other benefits enjoyed by government school teachers available for all private school teachers.
Was elected President of All India Secondary Teachers Federation from 1976 and continued as President of AISTF until retirement in 1983.
Was actively engaged in Trade Union movement. Was associated with activities of the Cochin Thuramukha Trhozhilate Union Mattancherry from 1952 – 1972 and associated with their struggle for decasualisation of port workers.
Was the Vice President of the Organising Committee of Cochin Shipyard Employees Association, Ernakulam.
Was the General Secretary of the Giovanala Binny Employee Assocation, Palluruthy.
Was President of:
Geo Fabrics Thodilate Palluruthy,
Cochin Employees’ Association, Mattanchey,
Kerala Petroleum Products dealers’ employees’ association, Ernakulam,
Bronton and Company workers Association, Palluruthy,
Ernakulam District Taxi Workers’ Union, Ernakulam,
District Cinema Employees’ Association, Ernakulam,
KMP Oil Mills Workers Union, Palluruthy,
Telk employees’ Association, Ankamaly,
District Motor and Mechanic Workers Union, Ernakulam,
MRF employees’ Union, Kottayam,
Textile Workers Union, Ettumanoor, and
Aluminium FacricatingWorkers’ Union, Palluruthy.
As Member of the Grama Panchayat for 5 years from 1964 - 1969
As there was no water supply in the Panchayat, about a dozen wells were made for drinking water in the various parts of the Panchayat ward.
Dozens of hand pumps were also installed in different parts of the ward.
A number of concrete foot bridges were also constructed in the water logged areas of the ward.
As Corporator for 10 years from 1969 - 1979:
Took up developmental activities very seriously. During his tenure as Corporation Councillor the division has had the maximum development. Dozens of roads and cross roads throughout the length and breadth of the division were made, electricity lines and water supply pipe lines were extended all along the roads and drainage facilities provided for all major roads and good retaining walls constructed on all the slanding sides of the public tank.
The trenching ground located within the division was removed and the entire space was filled up and converted into a maidan, where subsequently a government hospital and a public market have been constructed on one side of the ground. The remaining part of the maidan is developed as play grounds for cultural activities, games and sports competitions.
An Open Air Theatre was also planned and preliminary works of filling the ground and providing drainage on all sides were completed during that period. Compound wall with grills were also provided for.
As MLA for three terms from 1980-1991:
As a member of the legislature assembly from Palluruthy constituency, all basic infrastructure for development of the constituency was completed. Two MLA roads connecting two major islands were made. The constituency which lay separated with big and small islands lying apart were al connected with bridges making it possible to reach every corner of the constituency by road. A water supply scheme aided by World Bank was implemented in the constituency and water supply was extended to the remote parts of the villages by laying huge supply main pipes. Three overhead water tanks were constructed as part of the scheme in the three Panchayats in the constituency and the hundreds of public water taps provided in the villages. The fourth overhead tank, ground work for which had been completed in Chellanan Panchayat was never completed after his term as MLA. Drinking water was made available in every part of the constituency.
In the educational field, upgrading of two government schools, as High Schools and a primary school as UP school and starting of a college in the constituency as well starting of plus two course and vocational higher secondary course in two High schools were accomplished. Was responsible for improving the facilities of the High school, Palluruthy by providing a water supply scheme, bifurcating the high school into two high schools, one for boys and another for girls. Was instrumental for providing land for play ground of the school.
10, Dr. B. D. Marg,
New Delhi-110 001
Tel.: 011-2336 2100
Palluruthy, Kochi– 6, Kerala
Tel: (R) 0484-231029,